Friday, July 30, 2010

The Comic-Con I Went To vs. The Comic-Con You Went To vs. The One I Heard About...

This first time someone commented to me on the three Comic Con's that happen in San Diego each summer I was beyond baffled. Then they explained, there's the Comic Con "I Went To" the Comic Con "You Went To" and told me about afterwards, and then there's the Comic Con "I heard about" or "Read about online." And I realized they were exactly right!

I can spend 4.5 days at the same convention as someone else, and yet never see them, or any of the things they saw! Afterwards when we talk about the convention, I can be gushing about how AWESOME the cast of Psych was during their panel, how impressed I was by the cast of White Collar, or how totally blown away I was by the kindness and down-to-earth nature of several of the people in Artists Alley and the Autograph Area, and yet be clueless when they say "but you saw Thor's chair, right?" (Okay, I admit, when they got more specific I knew what they'd meant! And yes, I had walked by it. :) )

Then I get home, start surfing the web, and find out about the dozens of panels that were going on simultaneously with the ones I was able to get a seat in.

In years past it was fans writing about the sessions, then more and more mainstream media started covering the event, reporting on panels, and getting interviews with the talent from the various avenues of popular culture (musicians and actors show up as well as artists for comic books, and voice talent that brings another dimension to those works that make it to an animated forms.)

Now I can even see highlights from the panels, as if I were there, in some cases the entire panel!

More and more the gap between the Comic-Con "I went to" and the Comic-Con "I heard about" seems to be narrowing!

Check out these links for a glimpse of what I'm talking about.

NBC Comic-Con Video (panels from 2009 and 2010 available!)
The CW at Comic-Con 2010

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home